Homemade Seasoning Salt

“A man must eat a peck of salt with his friend, before he knows him.”
- Miguel de Cervantes

“Take it with a grin of salt.”
- Yogi Berra

"Seasoned salt?! Has he gone mad?"
- you


OK, I hear you. You see, seasoned salt and me?—we go back a long time. My parents always had it in the house and given the choice between regular, bland iodized salt and the royalty that was Lawry's Seasoned Salt, well, the choice is obvious. Through the years I moved on from Lawry's, I still keep it in the house but use it for specific dishes, but I added Zatarain's Creole Seasoning to the collection, Old Bay Seasoning, and my all-time favourite Irie Seasoning Salt, a local brand. This recipe exists because of my love of Irie. I was getting low and decided to go and buy some to keep the larder stocked but the store didn't carry it anymore! I went to their website and found another store and they no longer stocked it! My panic was such I was forced me to annoyingly use four! exclamation marks in this blog alone! On returning to the website I found I could order some and be done with it but decided to make my own. I have in the past made my own Steak Spice and Bay Seasoning, and I regularly make my own mayonnaise and butter (recipes to follow) now. So, armed with the last of my Irie Seasoning Salt jar I looked at the ingredients and went to work pulling magnetic spice jars off my fridge. It didn't take long to come up with something I prefer over the original. If you decide to make your own I fully expect you to tweak the final mix to your liking. I changed a few things from the original ingredients to what I had on hand and personal preferences (such as I left out mustard powder but added dried thyme—next time I may add some of my homemade curry powder). There you have it.

HOMEMADE SEASONING SALT
Ingredients
1/3 c Maldon Sea Salt
3 tbsp organic cane sugar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp dried thyme
1
tsp celery salt
1
tsp dried dill
1 1/2
tsp onion powder
1/2
tsp ground white pepper
1/2
tsp turmeric
1 tsp Accent seasoning (aka MSG - optional)

Method
1. Grind Maldon Salt, sugar, and granulated garlic with a mortar and pestle (or spice grinder). I find these spices a bit coarse, you can skip this step and just mix everything together if you like.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.

3. Sprinkle on anything you like.

0 comments: